This 60-credit-hour programme is designed to provide advanced training in composition for the Bachelor of [Church] Music degree holders, to equip them to be composers and arrangers, music and worship pastors as well as church music educators.
The MCM in Composition programme requires four semesters of fulltime study to complete. It must be completed within three years from the time of admission.
An additional two semesters will be required for those without the 30-credit-hour core theology and counselling courses. Students in this category must complete their studies within four years from the time of admission.
Prerequisites for Programme Admission
- Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized (with applied music major) university or seminary
- 30 hours of the required SCM core theology courses from an ATA-accredited seminary. Those without these courses will be required an additional year of study.
- DVD recording of a recital within the last three years of application or of ABRSM (or equivalent) Grade 5 pieces (visit www.abrsm.org for more information, availability in your country, and equivalence)
- DVD recordings and scores of your:
- Arrangement of a hymn for solo voice and piano
- Instrumental arrangement of a contemporary Christian song
- Original choral composition
English Language Minimum Requirements
- TOEFL: 550 (PBT)/213 (CBT)/80 (IBT)
- IELTS: 6.0
- At least 24 years of age
- Baptized Christian of at least four years
- Music and/or worship ministry experience of at least two years
- Completion of all credit hours of studies as required by the school
- Meet the minimum GPA as required
- Approved Christian character
- The applicant will require to take placement exams in music theory, music history and basic musicianship.
- The applicant will require to take additional BCM-level courses should one fail in certain courses/fields of studies.
CORE COURSES (30 credit hours)
|Theology of Worship|
|Church Music Administration and Leadership|
|Creative Arts, Music and Culture|
|Perspectives in Congregational Song|
|Choral Arrangement and Songwriting|
|Pastoral Leadership Through Music|
|Preaching Through Music|
|Music Research Writing 1-2|
|SBC Chorale/Canticorum 1-4|
|Performance Laboratory 1-4|
|Field Education 1-4|
COMPOSITION COURSES (30 credit hours)
|MCM Composition 1-4|
|Choral Literature Survey 1-4|
|Conducting Laboratory Choir 1-4|
|Arranging for Worship Teams|
|Advanced Choral Arrangement|
|Contemporary Techniques in Composition|
|Non-Western Instruments Writing|
|Final Project: Composition Thesis and Recital|
CORE THEOLOGY COURSES (30 credit hours)
An additional 2 semesters (30 credit hours) of core theology and counselling courses (English or Chinese) are required for those who do not fulfill the theology entry requirements.
|Old Testament Survey|
|New Testament Survey|
|Research and Writing Skills|
|Bible Study Methods|
|Principles of Christian Education|
|旧约纵览 / 信息|
|新约纵览 / 信息|